Re: Emacs Webapp/Plugin

From: Paul Michael Reilly
Subject: Re: Emacs Webapp/Plugin
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2013 14:59:49 -0400

On Sat, Oct 5, 2013 at 12:48 PM, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:
        [ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider
        [ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,
        [ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example.

    > > Again, my goal is to have a seamless, robust Emacs experience when
    > editing
    > > or viewing files in a Web constrained device.

This seems like an attempt to make a palliative
for something that really ought to be _fixed_.
That can have a bad effect, in the long term.

So we need to study the issue.  What is the "web constrained"
device?  What is the constraint that it has, and what causes
that constraint?

You very well might be right.  The particular device is a Chrome Pixel but the generic system is Chromium OS (and Chrome OS since it derives from Chromium OS).   "Web constrained" means that only web applications run on the device as far as the User is concerned.  My desire has been to have Emacs integrated into the Chromium OS as pretty much a file handler either directly (like Flash is in Chrome) or as a plug-in, like Flash is in Chromium.  I know you are not a fan of Cloud based systems in general but, when used wisely, theses systems can save the User a ton of system administration and provide even more function.  The key for acceptance to me has been the realization that there is a lot of cloud based computing where I could care less if the government has back doors or the provider does awful things and for those things where I care about privacy and integrity from the cloud, I can use my own servers, or servers that I trust to a very high degree.  As a hacker, cloud based systems let me focus on hacking, not system administration and they let me use inexpensive computers (think ChromeBook or ChromeBox systems) interchangeably, no small benefit.

Hope that helps,

-pmr

p.s. Richard, sorry for the fat-fingered empty message which preceded this one. :-)