Re: User-defined record types

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: User-defined record types
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 09:39:31 -0400

On Sat, 12 Oct 2013 14:58:15 -0400 Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> I'm not necessarily opposed to user-defined record types, but if
>>> cl-defstruct is not sufficient and C-level changes are required, then
>>> I'd hope for the new code to provide more exciting features than just
>>> "vectorp returns nil".
>> Great, I'd like to get to work on that.  What exciting features do you
>> have in mind?

SM> I don't have any, which is why I haven't implemented anything yet ;-)

Something that represents JSON and YAML well would be nice.  Currently
we don't have an ELisp data structure that can preserve all JSON nuances
without acrobatics (e.g. preserving the difference between "null" and
"empty list" or the native JSON data types).

I know about json.el and it's very convenient but not enough.

A native XML data structure would also be nice.  We have what libxml
produces, dumped in an awkward tree, but nothing native.

Ted