Re: Menus with more items than the TTY can display

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Menus with more items than the TTY can display
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2013 20:41:36 +0200

> The next request might sound silly, but please humor me.  Please
> repeat the experiment with setting resize-mini-windows to nil, and
> with the original 22/21.0 frame size, but this time set
> resize-mini-windows via M-:, and make sure the cursor is in the same
> position as when you enter Emacs.  Please do the same 10 presses on
> the down arrow key as you did before, so that I could compare the
> termscripts again.  I expect the termscripts to be identical in this
> case.

I didn't even care to check: Typing at least one character into the
*scratch* window makes the problem disappear.  It's only when I type
nothing into the window that the problem persists.  What a silly red
herring I dished up here.

(If you still think that I should compare the termscript files I'll
obviously do so.)

> Note that I half expect the magical resize-mini-windows effect to
> disappear, when you do the above, i.e. I expect you to see the problem
> even with resize-mini-windows nil.  If this is indeed so, it is a Good
> Thing, because I cannot imagine any relation between that variable and
> what you see.

OK.  Then we have at least one good thing now.

> Finally, after you do all that, please comment out the line marked
> below at the end of tty_menu_display, recompile, and see if the
> problem persists.
>
>    display_tty_menu_item (menu->text[j], max_width, face, x, y + i,
>                           menu->submenu[j] != NULL);
>       }
>     update_frame_with_menu (sf);
>   }

Unfortunately the problem persists with this line commented out.

martin