Re: Rectangular regions

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Rectangular regions
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 05:52:40 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 21:59:20 -0400
>
> I've installed earlier today a patch which adds basic support for
> rectangular regions.  The entry point currently is `M-x rectangle-mark'.

What did you mean that to do when the rectangle crosses bidirectional
text?  Currently, the rectangle is "broken".  Similarly when the
rectangle includes characters of different sizes.

IOW, this "rectangle" works in character cell positions in the logical
order.  If this is what you meant, fine (but then it's not really a
rectangle in many use cases).  Otherwise, there's a lot of work yet to
make it a real rectangle.