Re: Apropos emacs-intl-fonts & https://wiki.debian.org/DebianHebrew

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Apropos emacs-intl-fonts & https://wiki.debian.org/DebianHebrew
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2013 19:48:23 +0200

> From: Jambunathan K <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2013 13:10:50 +0530
> Cc: Uwe Brauer <address@hidden>
>

> In the following wiki page,
>
>     https://wiki.debian.org/DebianHebrew
>
> I also happened to run across a remark marked as
>
>     Do we need these?
>
>     emacs-intl-fonts - Fonts to allow multi-lingual PostScript printing
>     from Emacs

That page was last updated in 2009, so it is terribly outdated.
Certainly, anything related to Emacs that it says is incorrect, since
Emacs 24.1 with bidirectional editing support was released in 2012.

> Can someone knowledgeable fix the wiki page to clarify whether or not
> emacs-intl-fonts is required or not for hebrew support?

They are not needed.  Any font that supports the corresponding
characters will do.

> In the following message,
>
>     http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2013-10/msg01018.html
>
> there is the following Org attachment,
>
>    http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2013-10/txtgwNqsktCoy.txt
>
> How would I make the English row correspond to it's Hebrew row.

You mean, like this:

| שלום  | דוד   |
| ‏Hello | David |

The reason for this problem and the solutions available in Emacs are
described in the node "Bidirectional Display" in the ELisp manual.
Of course, what it says might not help at all with export to ODT.