Re: Bootstrap failure on MS-Windows

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Bootstrap failure on MS-Windows
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2013 20:26:43 +0200

> Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2013 19:14:27 +0100
> From: Dani Moncayo <address@hidden>
> Cc: Emacs development discussions <address@hidden>
>
> On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 9:24 AM, Glenn Morris <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > BTW, if I need to suggest an actual patch for this, it would be
> > something like the following (obv. untested). This is the only place
> > left in the Makefiles that uses absolute filenames, so I don't think
> > anything else is needed.
>
> Thank you for the patch, Glenn.
>
> I've just tried to bootstrap (autogen + msysconfig + make bootstrap)
> with your patch applied, but it fails the same way.

I think there's a mistake in the patch:

  !     @(w32srcdir=`cd "$srcdir"; pwd -W | sed -e 's,^\([[A-Za-z]]\):,/\1,' |
${msys_to_w32}` ;        \
                                                         ^^^^^^^^^^

This should be "[A-Za-z]", i.e. only single pair of brackets.  (The
second one was necessary in an Autoconf file, to protect from
expansion by m4.)

> BTW, as Óscar already said [1], there is a second problem here: Just
> after running autogen.sh (in the source tree) and msysconfig (in the
> -empty- build tree), "make bootstrap" re-runs autogen.sh (see line 137
> of the attached file) and the makefiles are re-generated.  This should
> be unnecessary in this case, no?

This is on purpose, as this snippet from the top-level Makefile shows:

  # Bootstrapping does the following:
  #  * Remove files to start from a bootstrap-clean slate.
  #  * Run autogen.sh.
  #  * Rebuild Makefile, to update the build procedure itself.
  #  * Do the actual build.
  bootstrap: bootstrap-clean FRC
          cd $(srcdir) && ./autogen.sh
          $(MAKE) $(MFLAGS) MAKEFILE_NAME=force-Makefile force-Makefile
          $(MAKE) $(MFLAGS) info all