Re: chinese word mode

From: William Xu
Subject: Re: chinese word mode
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2013 23:37:10 +0800

Eric Abrahamsen <address@hidden> writes:

> [...]
>
>> (define-minor-mode thai-word-mode
>>   :global t :group 'mule
>>   (cond (thai-word-mode
>>       ;; This enables linebreak between Thai characters.
>>       (modify-category-entry (make-char 'thai-tis620) ?|)
>>       ;; This enables linebreak at a Thai word boundary.
>>       (put-charset-property 'thai-tis620 'fill-find-break-point-function
>>                             'thai-fill-find-break-point))
>>      (t
>>       (modify-category-entry (make-char 'thai-tis620) ?| nil t)
>>       (put-charset-property 'thai-tis620 'fill-find-break-point-function
>>                             nil))))
>>

> [...]
>
>> My buffers are utf-8 encoded, and describe-char on a Chinese character
>> shows "preferred charset: unicode-bmp". So what do I put for the charset
>> in order to make these functions target the right characters? Chinese
>> characters all seem to have the "|" line-breakable category by default,
>> but (I think) I can only add the custom fill break point function one
>> charset at a time.
>
> I've tried slapping the 'fill-find-break-point-function onto the
> 'unicode charset for now, and it works fine because the function only
> does anything if point is in the midst of Chinese. It presumably gets
> applied to all characters, though, and that can't be a real solution.

modify-category-entry also accepts a range cons, where you can select
Chinese characters by range.  For example,

     (#x3400 . #x4DBF)                    ; CJK Unified Ideographs Extension A
     (#x4E00 . #x9FFF)                    ; CJK Unified Ideographs
     (#xF900 . #xFAFF)                    ; CJK Compatibility Ideographs

put-charset-property seems only accepts a charset..

> I'm guessing I'll need to separate simplified and traditional word sets
> and make two versions of the mode. Both modes will loop through their
> applicable charsets and apply/remove the custom break point function.
>
> Assuming I fix this problem and other inevitable bugs, would this
> library be of general interest to Emacs?

It can make those word movement functions useful.  :)

--
William

http://xwl.appspot.com