Re: Emacs as word processor

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: Emacs as word processor
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 12:36:29 +0100

>     We could make it easy to export continuously in the background and
>     display the PDF/ODT part in another window, this way one would really
>     see what you get, in real time.
>
> That would require formatting the document very very fast.
> The longer the document is, the faster the machine would have to be.

At least with LaTeX the issue can somewhat be mitigated by an
intelligent LaTeX daemon like latexmk.  It monitors changes and when a
change occurs it only re-compiles the relevant parts.  I don't know if
this is smart enough to work on single file documents.  Org could
automatically export a new .tex file upon changes.  Latexmk would
update the pdf.

I don't know of a solution to ODT.

–Rasmus

--