Re: Emacs as word processor / Text Properties

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs as word processor / Text Properties
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2013 11:10:07 +0200

> From: Jambunathan K <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2013 14:14:31 +0530
> Cc: "Pascal J. Bourguignon" <address@hidden>,
>       Drew Adams <address@hidden>, address@hidden
>
> How about documents that have multiple scripts and one MAY have to
> fiddle with bidi-settings on a per-element basis.

I must confess I have no idea what you are talking about here: what
"bidi settings"?

> (Things like Bidi are not only about aesthetics but also tied
> directly to the "content".)

Again, if this is a real issue, please elaborate.  Bidi is neither
about aesthetics nor about "content", it's about displaying certain
scripts as their readers require.  To understand that, imagine that
you need to read English text where the order of the characters was
reversed.  I guess you won't be amused.

> Now if you want to have Tables with Bidi-text then Orgmode is
> practically useless.

"Practically useless" is a wild exaggeration.  I use it just fine.

But yes, there are several features of the UBA that Emacs supports
which can improve this.  Org Mode should use those features when
appropriate.  Unfortunately, too many Emacs modes, Org included, still
treat text as a unidirectional stream of characters that will keep
their logical order on display, and don't cater enough to the needs of
bidirectional scripts.  I expect Org users who work with those scripts
to submit bug reports with specific use cases, and ask the Org
maintainers to use the above-mentioned features.