Re: trunk r115472: Make 'configure' work out-of-the-box on Solaris.

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: trunk r115472: Make 'configure' work out-of-the-box on Solaris.
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2013 15:13:32 -0500

martin rudalics wrote:

> Since my Debian package manager refuses to orderly install the tiff
> libraries

If we could go back to the actual issue.
I don't understand your statement here.

apt-get install libtiff5-dev

works fine for me. (It may be libtiff4-dev depending on which version of
Debian you are using, or even libtiff-dev perhaps.) This is one of the
things that `apt-get build-dep emacs24', as suggested in INSTALL, will
do for you.

And if you don't have root, just grab libtiff and install it yourself
somewhere.

(Having said all that, personally I would not class libtiff as
"essential" for Emacs, but that point was made 6 years ago too.)