Re: trunk r115472: Make 'configure' work out-of-the-box on Solaris.

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: trunk r115472: Make 'configure' work out-of-the-box on Solaris.
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2013 20:20:30 -0500

> apt-get install libtiff5-dev
> works fine for me. (It may be libtiff4-dev depending on which version of
> Debian you are using, or even libtiff-dev perhaps.) This is one of the
> things that `apt-get build-dep emacs24', as suggested in INSTALL, will
> do for you.

I do remember having some trouble with this.  Nothing that prevented
installation, but I sometimes had to do some apt gymnastics to satisfy
all the dependencies and conflicts while keeping all the other
packages installed.

> (Having said all that, personally I would not class libtiff as
> "essential" for Emacs, but that point was made 6 years ago too.)

I'm in favor or making libtiff non-essential (i.e. just emit a warning
if it's missing, rather than stopping the installation).

        Stefan