Re: Emacs as word processor

From: Juan M . Gonzalez
Subject: Re: Emacs as word processor
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2013 20:37:13 +0000 (UTC)

Richard Stallman <rms <at> gnu.org> writes:

> I did that, and it showed me only the first line.

Yes, it's folded by default. One of the first customizations I did when
starting to use Org-mode was to change this behavior, since I use more
documents than outlines.

In the ~/.emacs init file:

;; No folding of any entries
(setq org-startup-folded "showall")

And then, when I wish, I can fold/unfold part or all with <tab> (visibility
cycling) or <S-tab> (global visibility cycling).

Another useful Org customization is:

;; Cleaner view
(setq org-startup-indented t)
(global-set-key (kbd "<f7>") 'org-indent-mode)

Etc...

Apart from this, I can say that Emacs Org is being indeed useful for me, and
for many others from what I've seen.