Re: Emacs completion matches selection UI

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Emacs completion matches selection UI
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2013 22:40:39 -0500

> If theres another point to this debate, please forgive me, because
> I have missed it.

Personally, I'm trying to understand what it is that Ted is suggesting.
Indeed, I do hope to bring something like company-mode into Emacs, maybe
even making it into the default in-buffer completion UI.
But the UI based on *Completions* is likely to stick around for a long
time, so it's important to integrate the two at some level.

For me the current "integration" is that they should all rely on
completion-at-point-functions, so that major modes can focus on
providing the best completion-at-point-function they can, so the
user can freely choose which UI they want to use.

        Stefan