Re: Emacs completion matches selection UI

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Emacs completion matches selection UI
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 09:53:42 +0900

Eli Zaretskii writes:

 > It's not menu-based.  It _emulates_ a menu by using an overlay
 > (AFAIU).

The selection may not be by menu (although Ted's push for up-down the
the primary selection method certainly colors the way I look at
everything in this thread).  My point is that Emacs should be able to
do better with something 2D in many circumstances, and therefore
traditional linear menu display is "not good enough".  A 2D candidate
display with horizontal arrow navigation as well as vertical
navigation may not be "familiar" but I suspect it's quite discoverable.

 > Is this discussion about how to compute the candidates, or how to
 > display them and let the user browse them and select one?

The theme of the thread is the latter, but any specific candidate may
suffer from flaws in the former.  I understood Aaron to be suggesting
auto-complete as a candidate implementation.

I think that an Emacs UI framework here should provide hooks for
filtering and learning, as well as producing lists of candidates.
Otherwise installing it is premature.  (Of course that doesn't mean
all "methods" need provide filters and learning algorithms, but
hopefully there would be some generic ones provided by the UI.)