Re: The next releases

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: The next releases
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2013 08:05:53 -0500

On Sun, 22 Dec 2013 22:11:43 -0500 Glenn Morris <address@hidden> wrote:

GM> Quibbling about language, but I'd say something like:

GM>   ** Emacs now uses GnuTLS v3 features where available.

GM> But as a user, this tells me nothing, so I'm not sure I see the point of
GM> this entry as it stands.

OK; removed.

>> +++
>> +** Emacs can now reject invalid SSL/TLS certificates, as determined by
>> +GnuTLS The new variable `gnutls-verify-error' can be customized.  It
>> +is off for now, but will be turned to reject invalid certificates by
>> +default in the future.

GM> [If this is a new option, it should have a :version tag.]

GM> ** New option `gnutls-verify-error', if non-nil, means that Emacs
GM> should reject SSL/TLS certificates that GnuTLS determines as invalid.
GM> (This option defaults to nil at present, but this is expected to change
GM> in a future release.)

Thanks, used this.

GM> Although, that means you're saying gnutls-verify-error is documented,
GM> and I can't see that it is.

Right, fixed.

>> +** CFEngine mode

GM> It seems redundant to say "CFEngine mode..." in all the following, given
GM> that the whole section is about CFEngine mode.

I was following the pattern above:

#+begin_src text
** CUA mode

*** CUA mode was changed to make use of delete-selection-mode and
#+end_src

I fixed up the CFEngine-related and package.el things.

>> ++++
>> +*** the list of packages now shows the archive

GM> *** The output of `list-packages' now includes the archive providing
GM> each package.

GM> [Though this will be self-evident, so I'm not sure it is worth
GM> mentioning.]

OK, omitted.

>> +*** the list of packages can now be filtered by a keyword

GM> I don't understand what this really means. The wording makes me think
GM> it's somehow related to the list-packages command, but it does not seem
GM> to be.

OK, fixed.

GM> Second general comment is that NEWS entries should be grammatical: start
GM> with a capital, end with a full-stop.

Thanks for the review!  I pushed my changes as you suggested and hope
they are OK.

Ted