Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r115669: eww: support disabled and readonly text

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r115669: eww: support disabled and readonly text
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2013 13:54:12 -0500

Ted Zlatanov wrote:

> Regarding the first nitpick: I saw eww as the first word and didn't want
> to capitalize it.  But I see both versions in the ChangeLog, from me and
> others, e.g.

Whoa, whoa, whoa! ;)

The commit log is not the ChangeLog (no matter how much some people
might like it to be). So when you say "I see both versions in the
ChangeLog", your examples are all incorrect, since they do not come
from the ChangeLog.

> revno: 115702
> committer: Chong Yidong <address@hidden>
> branch nick: trunk
> timestamp: Mon 2013-12-23 11:59:10 +0800
> message:
>   Rename set-temporary-overlay-map -> set-transient-map
[...]
> revno: 115699
> committer: Glenn Morris <address@hidden>
> branch nick: trunk
> timestamp: Sun 2013-12-22 15:13:18 -0800
> message:
>   Misc small fixes for some recent doc changes

Those are examples of the summary line that starts a commit.

I adhere to the convention that these look best if treated like the
Subject: header of an email. These traditionally start with a capital
and do not end with a full-stop.

I feel like I've seen this written down somewhere wrt commit messages,
but cannot find it now, so maybe I made that up.

The slightly different convention of:

  module: change in this module

which is what Ted used, is followed eg by coreutils. I also think this
looks fine.

Yours nitpick-for-nitpick,