Re: info files

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: info files
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2013 10:02:22 -0800

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> having "make" rebuild docs doesn't *violate* the standard,
> does it?

True.

> AFAICS, it would be a one-time annoyance per existing
> checkout: the first time you rebuild after the commit of "bzr rm
> info", it would take a noticable amount of time.  But surely it's
> hardly noticable in a "make bootstrap".

It takes quite some time even compared to a "make bootstrap",
I'm afraid.  On my platform (AMD Phenom II X4 910e, texinfo 5.2),
a fresh "make info" takes 3 minutes 19 seconds.  It can be parallelized with
"make -j",
but some developers are still using older single-core machines,
considerably slower than what I use.

Plus, one doesn't need to run "make bootstrap" from a fresh checkout.