Re: Cannot generate web manuals

From: Xue Fuqiao
Subject: Re: Cannot generate web manuals
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 07:32:24 +0800

On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 4:13 AM, Glenn Morris <address@hidden> wrote:
> Xue Fuqiao wrote:
>
>> with `make-manuals' in admin/admin.el, but met an error. I've attached
>> the backtrace.
>>
>> I invoked this command without using prefix argument (which means to
>> generate all kinds of manuals: HTML, PDF, and PostScript). The error
>> occurred when generating the "emacs-node" manual (which is the first
>> step).
>
> It works fine for me with makeinfo 4.13. Perhaps something is different
> in makeinfo 5.
>
>> Should I file a bug report?
>
> Depends if you want someone to fix it at some point, or if you just want
> a chat.

Done as #16295.

>> BTW perhaps we should use something like `make-progress-reporter' to
>> report the progress of this function, since it'll take a long time.
>
> Why bother? It's obvious when it's working.

This way the user (maintainer) can estimate remaining time and clearly
see that Emacs is busy working, not hung.  Anyway, this is only my opinion.

>> I'll also start to work on generating PDF and PostScript versions of
>> doc/misc manuals as requested by Jambunathan K[fn:1] later.
>
> I would not bother if I were you. To date we intentionally only provide
> the main manuals in non-html formats. It is a pain to keep multiple
> formats up-to-date, for little benefit IMO.

Why?  Can't we just use the same method used by emacs/lispref/eintr for
`(manual-misc-manuals)' and just press `M-x make-manuals'?

>> I also have a question here: `manual-html-mono' does not generate the
>> manual for lispref.  How was
>> http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_mono/elisp.html generated?
>
> Using M-x make-manuals. I don't know why you think it doesn't make
> html_mono/elisp.html.

You're right.  But why does `manual-html-mono' and `manual-html-node'
only include (by "makeinfo -I") `doc/emacs' and `doc/misc'?  I did't see
lispref there.

--
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/