Re: The dynamic-docstring-function property

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: The dynamic-docstring-function property
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 07:53:23 -0500

> I'm trying to document the feature now, and I don't understand why this
> feature had to be introduced in the first place.

It replaces an undocumented ad-hoc hook used for advice.el.
I'm not sure it's worth the trouble documenting this new feature in the manual.

> Because a non-string value is evaluated, the dynamic-docstring-function
> stuff can be accomplished by setting the function-documentation property
> to the value `(foo ,old-docstring) where `foo' is your processing
> function.

Hmm... indeed maybe that could be used instead (it's not quite
equivalent, in that dynamic-docstring-function is used by add-function,
whereas function-documentation would only work for advice-add, tho
I guess we could add "dummy" symbol indirection to make it possible to
use function-documentation in add-function as well; and in practice the
dynamic docstring feature is only useful for advice-add anyway).

        Stefan