Re: PROPOSAL: Move to git, now that bzr is no longer a req.

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: Move to git, now that bzr is no longer a req.
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2014 10:58:14 +0100

Bastien <address@hidden> writes:

> The question is whether we should edit them separately
> from the commit messages, or if we should produce them
> by (programmatically) extracting them from the commit
> messages.

If we decided on having a vc-log commit mode for Emacs that would
enforce the ChangeLog style, then that would be interesting.  But I
don't really see a super-obvious way of implementing that.

Here's a typical ChangeLog entry from a single commit (I think):

2013-12-27  Stefan Monnier  <address@hidden>

        * icomplete.el (icomplete-show-matches-on-no-input): Default to nil
        (bug#16251).

        * electric.el: Move all electric-pair-* to elec-pair.el.
        * elec-pair.el: New file, split from electric.el.

When I edit stuff, I usually change a function, hit `C-x 4 a' (well, I
have that bound to `Hyper-a'), type in what I did, then perhaps change
the caller, and `C-x 4 a' again, and write what I did there.

Then I commit what I've done.

When I'm programming without a ChangeLog, I edit the first function,
edit the second function, and then commit, writing a summary of what I
did, but I don't mention the function names affected, for instance.

So there's no way to reconstruct a full ChangeLog entry from a normal
commit message, unless we make a `C-x 4 a' equivalent that works without
an actual ChangeLog file.

A temporary ChangeLog file?  A temporary ChangeLog "vc check in" buffer?

A different question is whether this style of change tracking is
valuable or not...