[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: Move to git is imminent - awaiting Stefan's approval

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Move to git is imminent - awaiting Stefan's approval
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2014 19:30:12 +0200

> From: address@hidden (Eric S. Raymond)
> Date: Mon,  6 Jan 2014 11:51:08 -0500 (EST)
> I have asked Andreas Schwab and he reports the Savannah git mirror
> ready for production use. Having examined it, I agree. Andreas and I
> have discussed the switchover and believe it should consist of the
> following steps:
> 1. Andreas will turn off bzr commit mirroring.
> 2. Andreas will enter a small documentation commit recording the changeover.
> 3. Andreas will announce on the dev list that the git repo is live for
>    developer pushes.
> 4. I will do the work required to update /etc and /admin for git use
>    over the following few days.
> I am now recommending that Andreas perform steps 1-3 at his convenience, no
> sooner than 2014-01-06T11:59:00  and no later than 2014-01-07T11:59:00 -
> that is, sometime tomorrow.

The above is not enough.  I would suggest to have the following
additional steps, before the switch:

 5. Have the procedures and the recommended workflows described on the
    wiki, similar to what was done with bzr migration.

 6. Describe (and test if needed) the procedure for migrating local
    bzr branches into git without losing history (yes, I have a couple
    in the works), and describe that on the wiki as well.

 7. What about the mail messages to emacs-diffs mailing list?  That
    should be working as well, and support pushes to non-trunk

 8. There's the emacs-bzr-version whose value gets copied into the bug
    reports.  This should be replaced by the suitable git equivalent,
    or else the bug reports (of which we have quite a few each day)
    will not identify the version correctly.

I suggest to leave some time, certainly more than one day, for others
to come up with additional activities that need to be completed before
the switch.  I see no special reason to rush.

reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]