Re: Time to drop the pre-dump phase in the build?

From: Daniel Colascione
Subject: Re: Time to drop the pre-dump phase in the build?
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 14:19:24 -0800

On 01/10/2014 11:15 AM, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
My current transition task is still tag cleanup and signing. I'll
report on that shortly.

I had some off-list conversation with one of our lurkers about
tag cleaning. During it he made an interestingly radical suggestion:
Maybe it's time to stop pre-dumping compiled Lisp into the Emacs build.

Disagree. As other benchmarks in this thread indicate, dumping is still a very useful optimization. Besides: the build complexity is well-understood.

While this made sense as a performance hack back in the day, hardware
(most relevantly disk I/O) is much, *much* faster now.  And SSDs are
making access to disk not much slower than main memory. Compilation
on demand might be fast enough today.

Not everyone has an SSD.

There are good reasons to think about dropping this technique:

(1) It makes cross-build of Emacs a pain in the ass.

Meh?

(3) Back when I last looked at it (admittedly a long time ago)
     the dump code was both the largest single source of porting
     problems and a serious attractor of crash bugs.

That's why the XEmacs portable dumper is better than the current Emacs setup. But not by enough to get distracted with ripping the guts out of the system.

(4) We're presently buying some startup speed at the cost of a larger
     minimum working set.

The minimum working set is zero. Modern operating systems demand-page necessary information. The dumped information is file-backed, so the commit charge is zero as well.

     under modern cache hierarchies, but I think the question deserves
     examination.

Unless circumstances have materially change (as they would if, say, non-volatile main memory became common), I don't want to waste time rehashing old debates.