Re: Time to drop the pre-dump phase in the build?

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Time to drop the pre-dump phase in the build?
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 22:16:10 -0800

>(3) Back when I last looked at it (admittedly a long time ago)
>     the dump code was both the largest single source of porting
>     problems and a serious attractor of crash bugs.

Didn't hear about these in a while, perhaps several years.

I ran into a porting problem a couple of weeks ago:
the Emacs dump approach doesn't work with AddressSanitizer
on GNU/Linux, e.g., gcc -fsanitize=address if you're using
GCC 4.8 or later.  It turns out that John Wiegley reported
the problem on emacs-devel in 2012; see:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2012-06/msg00600.html

AddressSanitizer would be a useful bug-squasher for Emacs,
I expect.