Re: Bazaar references complicate the git transition

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: Bazaar references complicate the git transition
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2014 11:40:48 -0500

David Kastrup <address@hidden>:
> Would it be an option to leave the original commits unchanged but add a
> "note" to it containing the git commit id?

Theoretically, yes.  Realistically, the notes facility is one of those
historical polyps hanging off the side of git that receives little
attention and less tool support.  As with the git bundle facility, I
fear becoming a victim of bitrot and would prefer not to rely on it at
all.

> On the other hand, rewriting the history is a one-time cost.

Yes.

> It will, for a while, double the repository size for preexisting git
> repo users (until the dangling references get garbage collected
> three or four months later).

No, I don't think you understand.  Everyone will have to reclone.
I'll repack the edited version; the clones will be drastically
*smaller*.

>And it will be a nuisance for any local branches.

Local git branches, yes.  There are easy ways around that.