Re: eww

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: eww
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 10:41:00 -0500

    > I think epa also needs a set of natural aliases, with "crypt" instead
    > of "epa".

    We introduced define-alternatives for exactly that case. It's just
    that nobody has used it yet.

We may be miscommunicating.  I don't see a need for
define-alternatives here, because simple defalias would work: e.g.,

(defalias 'crypt-mail-encrypt 'epa-mail-encrypt)

Why not?  Do you have in mind something else it should mean?

It's easy enough to do this, but then the documentation needs
updating.

For browsing, perhaps define-alternatives should be used.  I never use
those features, so I am not sure what commands should be defined, or
what their alternative meaning should be.

The doc string of define-alternatives is not very clear but I think it
does the wrong thing.  I have think the user should be able to specify
a choice of browsing package just once, and it should affect all such
commands for browsing.

My point is that this really needs to be done before the release.
We should prevent an ugliness from ever getting into a release.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation