Re: suggestion: blue default for new face `window-divider'

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: suggestion: blue default for new face `window-divider'
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 11:43:30 +0100

> The face `vertical-border' inherits from `mode-line-inactive'
> which is grey by default, so `window-divider' could do the same.

IMHO the default should imitate the standard 3D effect generally used
for window dividers.  Unfortunately, doing that without prior knowledge
of the respective API primitives is tedious.  It would be a great help
if anyone else could do that.

> PS: I don't understand why there are two identical faces
> `vertical-border' and `window-divider'.
>
> With no scroll bars, evaluating
>
>   (set-frame-parameter (selected-frame) 'right-divider-width 0)
>
> uses the `vertical-border' face, and allows resizing windows
> by dragging the vertical line.
>
> And after
>
>   (set-frame-parameter (selected-frame) 'right-divider-width 1)
>
> `vertical-border' is replaced by `window-divider' with exactly
> the same behavior.  Shouldn't these faces be merged?

I didn't want to change existing code, so I left `vertical-border'
untouched.  The divider face is used for horizontal dividers as well, so
the name vertical-border would be inappropriate.

Finally, I'm not yet sure how to incorporate the default 3D value
mentioned above in the face definition.

martin