Re: Repo cpnversion progress report

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: Repo cpnversion progress report
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 11:31:10 -0600

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>They are not meaningless, since, as you correctly recommend, the bzr
>repo should be kept frozen at the point of the switch, rather than
>deleted.  If something goes wrong during the conversion, and someone
>needs to do some archeology later, these numbers might help.
>
>So I suggest to make the replacements like this:
>
> "rev 102609" => "2010-12-08T08:09:address@hidden (bzr r102609)"
>                                                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I agree with Eli's point above, FWIW (and not just because he happened
to use one of my (sadly rarer than I would like) commits as an example).

Preserving the bzr revision number isn't very distracting -- anyone
spelunking through this stuff already has good vgrep goggles on -- and
provides a valuable trail in the event of an urgent forensic expedition.
As we all know, such expeditions occur more often than we expect, even
after we adjust our expectations accordingly :-).

I don't agree with Eli's comments in a later mail about how he wasn't
sure we should entrust this job to ESR.  It's a complex, time-consuming,
and apparently thankless task; IMHO ESR is doing a good job considering
all the inputs involved (both human and machine).

-K