Re: Repo cpnversion progress report

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Repo cpnversion progress report
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 16:03:00 -0500

> I hear the argument about forensics, but the Bazaar revision numbers
> are no more helpful for that than the action stamps. If anything,
> spelunking is an argument for appending those numbers to the change
> comment of each revision - leaving them in as references would a
> bass-ackwards approach to the problem.

Moving the "equiv to bzr r123456" to the commit message of that
corresponding Git commit sounds like an good compromise.  Of course, we
don't need it for every commit, but for all those commits that have
a corresponding "action stamp".

> But there's a better way.  We're going to have a complete
> revision-to-action-stamp map as part of the record.  It would be
> pretty easy to write Emacs code that uses that map to find revisions
> by Bazaar reference number.  That's the right solution, IMO.

But where would this map be stored?
Keeping it directly in the commit log sounds like a better approach.

        Stefan