Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2014 20:38:06 +0200

On 16.02.2014 19:36, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Jedi: https://github.com/tkf/emacs-jedi
Jedi and Rope: https://github.com/jorgenschaefer/elpy
nrepl: https://github.com/technomancy/nrepl.el (and others)
tern: https://github.com/marijnh/tern/tree/master/emacs (and others)
OmniSharp: https://github.com/sp3ctum/omnisharp-emacs (apparently)

Why aren't they part of Emacs?

Here's an obvious answer: CA.

They are available through package archives, though.

As I said in the thread you mentioned, the problem is not that these
extensions wouldn't exist for Emacs, it's that each and every one of
them reinvents most of the wheel to get similar features to Emacs.

I'd like the see the wheels enumerated.

Bringing them into Emacs bundle is a significant first step towards
solving the deficiencies, since Emacs maintainers will work with the
authors to fix them, and will continue maintaining them through the
years.

Hopefully, this is something that would accompany bringing a package into GNU ELPA, too.

> If they are left outside, they will continue being on the fringe.

I don't know about being on the fringe. The ones above are fairly popular.

The integration was declined on this list because Emacs should prefer
gcc over clang to protect user's freedoms, and gcc does not provide such
features.

GCC supports plugins, so it should be possible to do the same.

And this brings us back to contributors interested in writing C code. Moreover, in this case, to duplicate functionality that's already available for most users anyway.

In any case, clinging with clang clearly makes no sense, if we want
these features in Emacs.

Do we? Until there are no big problems to solve in Emacs left, I'd be pretty comfortable with recommending users who want better completion in C/C++/ObjC to install a third-party package.