Re: Lisp mode syntax table

From: Fabrice Popineau
Subject: Re: Lisp mode syntax table
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 23:10:04 +0100

> Is there a good reason why:
> (with-syntax-table lisp-mode-syntax-table
>   (string (char-syntax ?\|)))
> "\""

IIRC some Lisps use that for symbols.

> |rdf|:|someClass| and smartparen can't behave well in this case,

If it hurts don't do that.  Really, it seems like a particularly bad idea.

Usually, I try not to hurt myself too much but you know what it is...
Care to explain  why it is such a bad idea?
Sometimes you need case-sensitive symbols
in Lisp, and semantic web (RDF, OWL and so on) is one.

> Would that switch imply any drawbacks I can't think of?

I'm not sure what lisp-mode-syntax-table should use, but so far
emacs-lisp-mode-syntax-table should use "_" for the syntax of ?|

And this is what I advocated for.

OTOH, someone might want to make |...| into a new syntax for symbols, in
which case your |rdf|:|someClass| might break in the future.

Sure but the same guy could also redefine ( and ) in the reader ...

Fabrice