Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 16:59:15 +0000

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>>> Incidentally, I say "change" and not "patch". Submitting a change these
>>> days generally means "clone, branch, pull request".
>>
>> Sorry, I don't understand the subtlety.
>
> I think it's a paraphrase of "real developers use GitHub", a service
> running on proprietary software and having a variety of commercial
> offerings, including a rather popular "take it or leave it" zero
> pricetag offering.

No, it really wasn't. Github is useful but also problematic for the
reasons that you give. Even aside from the ethical issues, the zero
pricetag option could disappear anytime.

But pull requests are not a feature of github only. They are just a
workflow and an easy to use one.

I'm not a real developer anyway. Check out my code, I'm sure you'd
agree.

Phil