Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 11:28:53 -0500

    Namely that clang is not a compiler frontend per se but a set
    of performance-focused components targeted at building C++-aware (often
    interactive) tools.

Remember that the main purpose of the GNU system -- including GNU
Emacs -- is freedom.  Technical progress and convenience are
_secondary_ goals.

Copyleft is needed to defend freedom, which is why Clang is so harmful
to our freedom.  There are already nonfree versions of Clang that do
tremendous harm to our movement.

Allowing nonfree versions of GCC would not help us "win" anything that
matters -- it would only mean surrender.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation