Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 12:47:48 +0900

Richard Stallman writes:

 >      > This is because LLVM does not try to defend users' freedom at all.
 >
 >     Of course it does.  It gives them the choice of using excellent free
 >     software.
 >
 > You have misinterpreted my statement.  LLVM is free software, but it
 > does not defend users' freedom because only copyleft does that.

That's a nice soundbite, but I'll resist the temptation to disagree
verbosely.

However, this situation is easily enough changed.  The useful programs
from the LLVM project can be forked (AFAIK their license is not
perversely incompatible with the GPL) as GNU projects under the "GPL
v3 or later" permission schema.

Would you object to that?