Re: bug#16901: 24.3.50; emacs_backtrace.txt

From: Dmitry Antipov
Subject: Re: bug#16901: 24.3.50; emacs_backtrace.txt
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 19:44:46 +0400

[CC: to emacs-devel@ in attempt to initiate a broader discussion]

On 02/28/2014 06:26 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

Would it be possible to install some debugging code that could
pinpoint the problem, or at least give further ideas?  Or is the
problem so subtle that any code which uses strings could be the
culprit?

Hm... are there crashes around sweep_strings on platforms other
than MS-Windows?

Now I have two crash reports to make me worry about GC. Both are
irregular and looks hard to reproduce:

 - this bug (crash in compact_small_strings, MS-Windows only (?))

 - http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=16817#11 - crash
   marking C stack, OSX-only (?)

These crashes may be originated by the same bug (probably irregular
heap corruption). It's known that GC-related crashes may be caused
by freeing fonts during gc_sweep; this is
http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=16069, but it should
not affect MS-Windows and OSX (and hopefully I'll fix it soon).

On GNU/Linux, valgrind makes great job in finding memory-related
errors; if there are similar tools for other platforms, it would
be nice to try. And what about using GCC and (sorry RMS) LLVM
sanitizers?

Dmitry