Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 22:37:48 -0500

    > You can use CEDET, you can use GCC, you can use both, or you
    > can use something else.  But not clang or LLVM.

    I think this conflicts with your previous statement that using Clang
    for some features would be fine as long as Emacs supports using GCC for
    the same features.

Thanks for calling my attention to this wrinkle of the issue.

Features that only want to do C (or C++) compilation may as well be
implemented to work with any and all compilers.

For features that interact with the compiler beyond just using it to
compile a program, and therefore can't easily be implemented to work
with any and all compilers, there are two sensible approaches:

* Support only GCC.

* Support GCC first; once GCC is supported, support for other compilers
  is acceptable too.

Rather than making a general decision a priori, I'd rather look at
these cases individually when they arise.  After deciding a few such
cases, I hope I will see a pattern that would suggest a general policy.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation