Re: Trunk still not open

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Trunk still not open
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2014 17:29:17 +0200

> Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2014 16:57:42 +0200
> From: Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> On 14.03.2014 16:34, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> > Anyway, they're closely related.  If you don't have docs, you don't
> > know what to test.
>
> If I only have docstrings, I can know what to test pretty well.

Not necessarily.  You will know how to test a function, but without
some overview docs, you will have no idea how to test a complex
feature that is built of several functions and variables, and relies
on some internals on top of that.  Also, internal functions many times
don't have doc strings -- a practice that Emacs development accepts as
valid.

As another example, testing of infrastructure and C code using just
the doc strings is an impossible task.  E.g., in what doc string will
you find what a 'display' property is supposed to do?