Re: Trunk still not open

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Trunk still not open
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 13:38:59 +0100

On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 5:43 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull <address@hidden> wrote:

> It very rare that a person who can code is incapable
> of writing docs to an acceptable level of quality.  It is of course
> common that they have had little practice at it.

I've been a tech writer, and editor, for the Spanish edition of PC
World (back when paper magazines still mattered); I've written
features for tech magazines, and ghost written some for the leading
Spanish technews blog; many years ago I worked for a small VoIP telco
(before Skype, though they are still active) where there was a mandate
to document everything in English; I've also written book reviews,
non-tech features, and even once a cooking recipe; additionally, I've
translated lots of technical texts (including OS-400 docs for IBM) and
non-tech too (I translated "Snow Crash" to Spanish, a fact I'm pretty
proud of).

I'm not bragging; I'm pointing out that I can put words together well
enough to be professionally published. And yet, I *suck* at it, I'm
extremely slow and inefficient doing that work, because of the simple
fact that I *HATE* writing. I consider my teeth being pulled out
without painkillers an acceptable, even alluring, procrastinating
alternative to writing. Practice has nothing to do with it. I have
practice.