Re: Trunk still not open

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Trunk still not open
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 16:13:29 +0100

Stefan <address@hidden> writes:

> FWIW, while I suck both at writing documentation and at forcing myself
> to write documentation, I'm in favor of being more strict
> w.r.t documentation.  But in many cases, code is installed in
> a non-definitive way, so it's convenient to install the code first, then
> fix up some of it based on user's feedback and only later write the doc.
> That saves us the time of documenting the intermediate state.

I agree.  Being able to add functionality and get feedback on it fast is
very valuable.  Writing in-depth documentation for stuff that will
likely change is wasted time.

The other thing is that I kinda feel that we're over-documenting some
things.  I think things should just work without the user having to read
documentation at all.  And Emacs has some methods for discoverability
(like 'C-h m') that work quite well if you're looking for what commands
are available.

Not all modes need an entry in the Emacs and Lispref manuals.