Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r116779: Restore compatibility with legacy comme

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r116779: Restore compatibility with legacy comment-start-skip values
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 21:44:11 +0200

On 17.03.2014 20:14, Stefan wrote:

BTW, the new code still will fail to match the ";hello" comment in

    foo\\;hello

Maybe we should use narrow-to-region to get the ^ part of the regexp to
match at point.

Yes, good point. Yet another handy `narrow-to-region' hack. :)

And suppose it doesn't, then what?

Admittedly, I'm not sure how to handle the more general case where
comment-start-skip uses sub-group 1 for something more significant than
to rule out an escape char.

I can simply imagine a misconfigured mode where `comment-start-skip' doesn't ever match the start of a comment. So the question is, do we raise an error, simply don't move point, or do something like (skip-syntax-forward "-<")?

By the way, we might want to replace all the matching shenanigans with the last option.