Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r116461: Connect electric-indent-mode up with CC

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r116461: Connect electric-indent-mode up with CC Mode. Bug #15478.
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2014 23:05:22 +0100

David Caldwell <address@hidden> writes:

> On 3/22/14, 9:14 AM, Stefan wrote:
>> It seems now that your main (only?) objection is having RET do
>> reindent-then-newline-and-indent instead of having it only do
>> newline-and-indent.  If that's the case, then let's focus on this.
>> In what scenario is it a problem?
>
> Let me ask this, in what scenario does it actually do anything useful?

   }
   ^

When pressing RET now, the result should be

   }

   ^

with the added empty line being _empty_ rather than containing two
spaces.

> All the cases I can think of it's a nop, except when the indent
> guessing is flat out wrong, and then it's just annoying (Grrrr, M-_
> C-q RET TAB).

Yup.  The current behavior makes editing flex or bison files (a mixture
of patterns and/or rules and C code) a lot more annoying than it was a
year ago since at points of "bad indentation" (when in the pattern/rule
part or on its boundary to C code), RET does a lot more damage than
previously.

--
David Kastrup