Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r116461: Connect electric-indent-mode up with CC

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r116461: Connect electric-indent-mode up with CC Mode. Bug #15478.
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 10:49:06 -0400

>> I want to keep electric-indent-mode as a global mode that determines
>> whether certain self-inserting keys (such as RET and others) auto-indent.
> How is this not satisfied by e-i-m being a define-globalized-minor-mode?

AFAICT your suggestion would not swap RET/C-j depending on e-i-m.

> With the current setup, we have a rather contorted relationship between
> e-i-m and e-i-local-m, with buffer local copies of electric-indent-mode
> popping into and out of existence.

For a setting which is mostly global by nature (it reflects on the
user's general preference), I'm not worried and generally prefer this
over using define-globalized-minor-mode which is a fine hack, but
a hack nevertheless.

> What about the rest of my suggestion?

I'm worried about the possible consequences: e-i-m has been around for
a little while now and we're somewhat familiar with its problems.
Your approach might solve some problems (tho I haven't seen a clear
statement of what those problems are, in terms of *behavior*), but will
inevitably come with its own set of consequences.

        Stefan