Re: Emacs pretest -- electric-pair-mode change

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Emacs pretest -- electric-pair-mode change
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2014 08:58:31 -0400

> Any chance this makes it to the pretests and 24.4?

I don't think there's a hurry, in this respect.  It's a UI change, so we
can change it later without breaking other people's code.

> `electric-pair-preserve-balance' is a new feature and the old behaviour
> for quote-pairing will almost surely annoy any new adopters.

We'll see if we get many complaints.

> Anyway I've haven't gotten little feedback for this feature, negative or
> positive.

`electric-pair-mode' (even the old one) is not a commonly used option,
IIUC.  This is largely because it's not enabled by default, many people
don't like/want such a feature, and those who do want it have many ways
to get it, many of which predate electric-pair-mode.

I do hope/expect it to become the standard way to get the feature,
but it'll take a little while to get there.

        Stefan