Re: Trunk r117046 fails on systems with older automake

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: Trunk r117046 fails on systems with older automake
Date: Sun, 04 May 2014 14:02:11 -0400

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> Indeed.  Moreover, please don't require different versions for the
> trunk and the branch, as it's a nuisance to have more than a single
> version installed.

Why would you need two versions?
You can use automake 1.14 today even if the minimum is 1.11.
I'm sure many people do.
(I see I used automake 1.14 and autoconf 2.69 for 24.3.90.)

>  Also, nt/INSTALL and/or the packaged Autotools it points to need to
> be updated once we upgrade to some newer version, so please explicitly
> announce that here.

I can't promise to remember, but failues with versions older than the
minimum will be obvious, and only affect builds from bzr, not releases,
so it doesn't seem like a big deal. You can update the ezwinports
versions whenever you feel like, no need to wait for Emacs to require
them. I don't foresee the minimum versions changing any time soon, but
you never know.