Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r117152: Arrange to never byte-compile the gener

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r117152: Arrange to never byte-compile the generated -pkg.el file.
Date: Mon, 26 May 2014 10:41:35 +0200

() Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
() Sun, 25 May 2014 16:29:32 -0400

   Sadly that doesn't help for the packages downloaded as tarballs
   which already come with their own foo-pkg.el.  We really should
   instead call `byte-recompile-directory' telling it to skip the
   foo-pkg.el.

I see the ‘byte-recompile-directory’ guard expression:

     ;; It is an ordinary file.  Decide whether to compile it.
     (if (and (string-match emacs-lisp-file-regexp source)
              ;; The next 2 tests avoid compiling lock files
              (file-readable-p source)
              (not (string-match "\\`\\.#" file))
              (not (auto-save-file-name-p source))
              (not (string-equal dir-locals-file
                                 (file-name-nondirectory source))))
       ;; do it
       )

affords us only ‘auto-save-file-name-p’ and ‘dir-locals-file’ as
possible ways to exclude -pkg.el files, the latter probably a bit
easier since it's a variable, w/o modifying the filesystem.  If
modifying the filesystem is OK, i suppose another way is to make
the file temporarily unreadable around the
‘byte-recompile-directory’ call.

All of these strike me as inelegant.  Maybe now is good time to
address another issue of ‘byte-recompile-directory’, namely that
caller has no control over the order of the files processed.  As
author of ELPA package ‘xpm’, i would like this control and would
be willing to work a bit (i.e., manually specifying the desired
order) to get it.  I imagine others might desire similarly.

Support for explicit ordering (and thus, inclusion) in package.el
naturally lends itself to support for -pkg.el (or other
user-specified globbing / wildcards, for example) exclusion, a
nice (non-)coincidence, no?

Would such redesign be compatible w/ the package.el vision?

--
Thien-Thi Nguyen
   GPG key: 4C807502