Re: Info Pages for ELPA packages

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Info Pages for ELPA packages
Date: Wed, 28 May 2014 01:03:13 +0900

T.V Raman writes:

 > there seems to be place for nothing but the elisp files at first
 > glance ie each package has to maintain a subdirectory structure of
 > its own

I hope you guys can find a good solution, but what XEmacs discovered
in trying to handle this problem in its package system is that there
are just too many ways of doing it in the real packages out there, and
we ended up with a horrible set of make variables to point the package
system to where various items live in the source tree for a package
(various data files are even worse, I think we have about 26
DATA_DIR_## make variables).

On the other hand, the system does work even if the internals are
klunky, and the installed tree is very regular.  (David K, don't
bother pointing out that it's suboptimal, I'm not suggesting that ELPA
emulate the XEmacs package system!)