Re: Emacs hung, have attached debugger

From: Geoff Shannon
Subject: Re: Emacs hung, have attached debugger
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2014 00:42:17 -0700

I posted compressed versions of the full backtrace to the bug on debbugs.

On Fri, Jun 6, 2014 at 12:33 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
There will be likely a lot of repetition here as this sounds like an
infinite recursion.  Just the end and the start of the traceback (enough
to recognize the pattern in the middle) should be enough.  The traceback
will likely be because of stack overflow.

Basically the conclusion I came to after examining the backtrace. Before Glenn
suggested compressing the full content and attaching it, that's what I had done.

Though of course I didn't think of including the top entries until after I'd posted the
bottom ones...

You can use ulimit (see its man page) to limit the available stack space
in advance: that should allow you to get a backtrace that is reasonably
short even without manual intervention.  Just be sure that it's not
bombing out because of a regular operation.

Good idea!  Now if only I could reproduce this crash...

Also, sorry if posting about this on emacs-devel was a bit out of place.

--
Geoff

Nothing is ever easy.