Re: Feature Request: Per-package custom save files?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Feature Request: Per-package custom save files?
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2014 13:54:33 -0400

> when custom settings that are large s-expressions break during
> save --

If you still have such a broken file, please M-x report-emacs-bug to see
what we could do to avoid these problems.

Maybe for such important files that aren't saved very often, it would be
worthwhile to double-check that what we're about to write is what we
intended to write (i.e. try to read it back before saving).

> say the partial sexp gets saved, the whole file breaks.

Right, in some cases, indeed, having several files could confine
the breakage.  In that case, the specific way the list is broken up
doesn't matter that much, which is good.

Maybe we could simply allow custom-file to be a function which takes the
list of settings to save and splits them into a list of (FILE
. SETTINGS).

        Stefan