Re: Dynamic loading progress

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Dynamic loading progress
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2014 21:26:35 -0400

> At first I was calling the libtool init function (lt_dlinit) in
> syms_of_lread() but it made every subsequent call to lt_dlopen
> segfault. I think the problem was coming from calling it before
> dumping because as soon as I moved it to the body of `load-module' it
> started working.

It should maybe be called in an init_* function rather than
a syms_of_* function: the difference is that syms_of_* functions are
called only once, before dumping, whereas the init_* functions are
re-executed every time Emacs is started (i.e. before and after the
dump).

But calling it from Fload_module is probably fine as well (and maybe
even better).

> -    /* Creating a non-pure string from a string literal not
> -       implemented yet.  We could just use make_string here and live
> -       with the extra copy.  */
> -    emacs_abort ();
> +    return Fintern (make_string (str, len), obarray);

That's OK, tho you might keep a comment about the need to make
a duplicate copy of the string because a heap-allocated Lisp_String
can't point to a string literal.

        Stefan