Layered display API (was: bug#18195: 24.3.92; window-screen-lines is not

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Layered display API (was: bug#18195: 24.3.92; window-screen-lines is not accurate)
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2014 16:40:37 +0400

On 08/06/2014 06:52 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> That sounds great, but I don't even know where to start. What we're
>> trying to emulate, though, is multi-layered display. That sounds
>> somewhat different from a "text layout API" to me.
>
> I don't mind how it is called and what is the correct abstraction.  I
> do know that we need some abstraction and APIs to support it.  If you
> already know what the correct abstraction is, then you are in a good
> position to formulate the requirements.

I don't know much of the other use cases (only in-buffer calltips come to mind).

Basically, we'd like to be able to display a rectangle with propertized text inside, at an arbitrary position (I would say pixel coordinates, but that might not work well in terminal), so that it would be displayed above the buffer contents.

This would solve two issues we currently have:

1. If the buffer ends (shortly) after the current line, we're forced to pad it with a newline, and then carefully undo that and restore the buffer modification status.

2. If the buffer is already heavily using the `display' text property, or other similar ones, our tooltip positioning also breaks or works unexpectedly. Example: the `report-emacs-bug' buffer (https://github.com/company-mode/company-mode/issues/136).

Somewhat relatedely, I'd love to be able to sanely display smooth graphics spanning multiple lines in the fringe (or in the area that would replace it), to indicate the buffer lines that changed from the last VCS commit, without conflict with flymake-style warning/error indicators. Code folding packages might also use it to indicate the bounds of the function or block at point. Maybe even support buttons?

Here's an illustration from a proprietary editor: http://wiki.jetbrains.net/i/images/6/68/Git_general_branches_updated_code.png