Re: SMIE

From: Andreas Röhler
Subject: Re: SMIE
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2014 10:55:30 +0200

On 10.07.2014 19:00, chad wrote:
On 09 Jul 2014, at 20:59, Matt DeBoard <address@hidden> wrote:

As regarding inclusion in GNU ELPA, I'm just a caretaker for the
project on behalf of the Elixir-lang people, but as it's already in
MELPA I'm sure it's fine.

I would go a step further than Stefan and say that MELPA is basically the archetype of not-fine in this domain: finding
a package in MELPA means, basically "someone, somewhere, wrote some code that might do something, in some of the
versions I've had at some point". Finding a package in GNU ELPA (or a handful of other elpa repositories) adds
things like "this version should actually do what's written on the tin" to potentially-interesting properties
like "copyrights already assigned" and "can be fixed by interested emacs maintainers".

I hope that helps,
~Chad

Hi Chad,

being able to use and distribute code written by "someone, somewhere,..." IMO
is perfectly fine, it's the spirit of freedom.

OTOH that argument fixing by "interested Emacs maintainers" seems not to work
that great as expected.
Fixing a language mode requires some knowledge of the language. Otherwise there
is a risk of nagging the maintainer.

WRT to the pure amount of existing languages, lets have a friendly attitude
towards Emacs' community contributions.

Andreas